Re: Kernel hang with latest snapshot

David Boreham wrote:

Well I'm having less success with diagnosing the kernel crashes than I'd like. The stack trace zooms off the top of the screen. So I tried kdump. Enabling kdump crashes the (virtual) machine. Then I tried netdump. It just doesn't seem to send any packets out (I'm attempting to get netconsole to work, so the crash log text is captured).

Before I loose more hair I figured I'd ask here what folks use
as a reliable mechanism to capture kernel BUG/OOPS
output from a machine ? I'm mostly using vmware for
this work but if it'd help I'd be happy to use a real machine.

This is i386/i686 on FC5 btw with the latest cvs version of systemtap.

Thanks.

Hi,

My approach is usually to set up a serial console and collect the output of the stack back trace on another machine using minicom. This requires a second machine and a null modem cable. This approach doesn't work so well on machines that don't have serial ports like newer laptops.

Does vmware allow you to set up a virtual serial console and route the output to another vmware virtual machine?

-Will