From: William Cohen [mailto:wcohen@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:51 AM
To: Nguyen, Thang P
Cc: systemtap@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Summary of nightly testing 20061016 (failed to retrieve
return value location)

Nguyen, Thang P wrote:
>>The tcptest.stp failed on most of the platforms. When trying to
>
> compile
>
>>the script by hand it gets a number of errors:
>>	"failed to retrieve return value location: identifier '$return'"
>>
>>For
>>install/share/systemtap/tapset/tcp.stp:159:9
>>install/share/systemtap/tapset/tcp.stp:129:9
>>
>>This is looking like there might be a problem with the
>>debuginformation for some of the kernels.
>>
>>-Will
>

> I could not reproduce any "$return" error on my boxes (ia32 & x86_64).
> Looks like Bibo also had this problem earlier, not sure if he still
sees
> the issue, or if any resolution has been made.  See the thread below.
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2006-q3/msg00130.html
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2006-q3/msg00129.html
>
> On the other hand, I do see the tcp_test.exp fails occasionally when
TCP
> traffic on the test machine is really low, so the test itself may be
> part of the problem.  I just need to twist tcp_test.exp to
send/receive
> more packets when it is executed.  This should reduce the number of
> failure, and perhaps isolate the cases where the real "$return" errors
> appear.
>
> Thang

Hi Thang,

That is a different test. The test that is having the problem is:

./testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.stp

There is another buildok test that has a similar name.

Are you able to run the complete tests and get similar results to what
was
posted earlier in terms of number of successes and failures?

-Will