RE: Anyone tried SystemTap with the latest RHEL5 Beta refresh

On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:13 AM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:41:56AM -0800, David Wilder wrote:
>
>> [...]  Why not package the debuginfo "vmlinux" with the kernel rpm?
>> [...]  ure this will increase the size of the kernel package by
>> about 40Meg, but the full debug info package is closer to 150Meg.
>
> Don't forget about debug information for the modules.  For a random
> FC5 kernel, that adds another 300MB (uncompressed).
>
> - FChE

I wonder -- could we have some sort of simplified debuginfo shipped for
systemtap?  I'm thinking just an rpm package that contains the debuginfo
necessary to resolve all of the shipped tapsets.  This
'systemtap-tapset-debuginfo' package would be version-matched to the
kernel AND systemtap though, which I suppose might be problematic.

It doesn't matter much what the format of this cache is, but the tapsets
touch such a small subset of the full debuginfo that we could probably
even get away with XML files.

Hopefully the tapsets provide enough framework that you could do some
reasonable debugging from this alone.  Only when you need to go above &
beyond this would you need to install the full kernel-debuginfo.

Josh