Re: experiences building Live CD with systemtap and kernel debuginfo

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com> writes:

A few more comments on building Live CD. The bugs that appear to be
prevent systemtap from operating on a rawhide system are:
[...]
There are some examples include in /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.5.12/,
but the RPM for rawhide is a bit older and does not contain the
examples.

How about building a demo based on FC6 rather than rawhide?

- FChE

I was able to create a liveCD iso based off of FC6 that included the things to run systemtap. This was based on on the:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

The following command built the CD image and includes a work around to avoid including an older kernel update:

livecd-creator \
--repo=c6,http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/ \
--repo=c6di,http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/debug/ \
--repo=c6_upd,http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/ \
--repo=c6_updi,http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/debug/ \
--repo=lcd6,http://people.redhat.com/davidz/livecd/i386/ \
--repo=e6,http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/ \
--package=fedora-livecd-gnome \
--package=kernel-debuginfo \
--package=kernel-devel \
--exclude-package=kernel \
--package=systemtap \
--fslabel=Fedora-6-systemtap-20070302 >& livecd-staptut.log &

I burned the image and booted up an IBM Thinkpad T41 with the disk, opened a terminal, then:

su -
cd /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.5.12/examples
stap helloworld.stp

The hellowworld ran as expected.
I was also able to /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.5.12/examples/small_demos/ such as kmalloc2.stp

The iso is 610MB in size. Any suggestions on where to put the iso, so other people can try it?

-Will