Re: Basic Installation Question (path woes)

I tracked the problem down to the install step.  The problem is that
although most of the programs are installed via "install -c -m 644", the
elfutils is installed with cp without correction to the file permissions.
I included the make stanza below.  As a result, if the system was built
under a user-id in which the mask is not quite right or if it's built on
some file-system in which the notion of "others" does not exist, the
libraries will be installed with the wrong permisions.

install-elfutils:
        mkdir -p $(pkglibdir)
        cp -df lib-elfutils/*.so* lib-elfutils/${PACKAGE_NAME}/*.so* \
           $(pkglibdir)

Perry

fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler)
Sent by: systemtap-owner@sourceware.org
04/17/2007 10:02 PM

Perry Cheng/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
systemtap@sources.redhat.com
Subject

Perry Cheng <perryche@us.ibm.com> writes:

> [...] On a 2.6.16 AMD box, I downloaded elfutils-0.125 and applied the
> portability patch and a recent systemtap tar (last week) and ran
configure
> --with-elfutils, make, and sudo make install.  [...]
>
> [perryche@hautbois ~]$ /usr/local/bin/stap -h
> /usr/local/bin/stap: /usr/lib/libdw.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_0.122' not
> found (required by /usr/local/bin/stap)

That is very strange.  It's as if the --with-elfutils part didn't
take.  What does "ldd /usr/local/bin/stap" say?  What was the
compiler/linker command line actually used to build and install the
stap binary?