Re: Listing probe alias resolution failures

Quoting David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com>:

patm@pdx.edu wrote:
With (version 0.5.14 built 2007-04-30) of systemtap and kernel 2.6.19.7 (i386), there are a lot (~220) of failures in the tapset like the following:

semantic error: no match for probe point while resolving probe point vm.write_shared_copy

To get a list of all of these, I pulled out some code from the systemtap GUI and made a quick standalone java program "listprobes", it works like the following:

I'm not a java programmer, but it appears like you might be expecting every function listed in the tapsets to be resolvable on a particular kernel. This isn't the case. Let's take an easy example - the probe alias syscall.open (in tapset/syscalls2.stp):

I was thinking the java program is pretty obscure, so here is a much simpler way to determine some of the probe aliases that are failing, in this case lets look at syscalls.stp:

$ grep syscall.*= /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/syscalls.stp | \
awk '{ print $1 " " $2 "{}" }' | \
stap -p2 -u -

And either a list of failed probe alias resolutions will be printed to stderr, or a list of probe aliases, variables, and functions will be printed out to stdout.