Re: Getting started: trying to build a kernel tracing tool for viewing assembly code

"Dan Connors" <dconnors@colorado.edu> writes:

> I'm just getting started with SystemTap: trying to build a kernel
> tracing tool for viewing assembly code as well as memory addresses.
> [...]

I am not sure what that means.  If it's wanting to get a trace of all
kernel instructions, then it may be useful to look at the IBM itrace
system.  Considering the huge performance penalty that per-instruction
tracing is bound to cause, it may be worthwhile to run your whole
kernel under a simulator, and instrument that rather than the kernel
running underneath.