Re: Systemtap with no root required

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> writes:

Here's the latest on being able to run systemtap without root
privileges required.

Thanks!

Here's a description of the current plan.  There are 2 linux groups
(feel free to suggest better names):

"stapdev" - Systemtap developer, who can do anything with systemtap

This corresponds to the sudo empowerment whose support was removed as a part of this patch. (One can still run "sudo stap ...", and the code treats one as an stapdev.)

Oops, I forgot to mention this. Yes, the 'root' user is treated as a member of 'stapdev' even if he is not. So, root can do anything with systemtap he wants.

I've attached a compressed patch which implements the above. [...]

It'd be almost easier to see the code in situ. Have you been developing on a CVS branch? It's not too late!

I hadn't thought of it. It would be easy enough to do.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com