Re: Why systemtap loses events and what can be done about it?

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Hi -

<zzh@ncic.ac.cn> wrote:

[...] To make my question clear, I have to introduce my work in
more detail. I am trying to use systemtap to analyze the
communication pattern of internet service. One basic issue is to
correlate every pair of tcp_sendmsg and tcp_recvmsg.

(For what it's worth, there may not be a one-to-one correlation, considering signals, packet loss, buffered delivery, ...)

Usually I will run a workload to emulate 100-200 clients explore the
web site simultaneously. In the workload of 200 clients, staprun
often displays the warning messages about skipped probes(Why?).
My guess would be this is caused by excess time spent in the probe handler; as interrupts are disabled whenever a probe is run, only one can run at any given time on a per cpu basis. The only solution, AFIK, is to optimize/minimize your probe code. This does not eliminate the problem, however. Given enough probe hits, you will still see contention.

Best,

Brad Peters