analysing/debuging stap

I noticed that stap make external calls to staprun and stapio.   If it
is fork() based, in gdb I can use follow on fork, but for stapio it is
exec() based, so how do I continue the debugging - is there a way to
follow on exec in gdb?   I check and there seemed to be a patch for
doing that, but command line help I cannot find way of doing that.
And my current gdb version is also later than the patch posted for gdb
to enable follow on exec.

Any clues????   Thank you very much.

--
Regards,