Unable to retrieve pthread mutex symbols

This is a continuation of the discussion that happened in response to my blog posting. I'll summarize, but for the full discussion refer to http://davidcarterca.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/systemtap/#comments

Basically, I'm trying to debug mutex use in my program. I use the pthreads version, which in turn uses futexes. Using the attached systemtap script, I get the addresses of the futexes under contention, but not the symbols associated with them. This makes debugging difficult.

There are a few steps involved in setting up the test.

1. Using either FC10 or FC11, install the arm4 and arm4-devel packages. These don't have SELinux support yet, so you'll either have to disable it or make it permissive.

2. Add your user to the arm4 group

# usermod -a -G arm4 username

You'll have to log out and log in again for this to take effect.

3. Start the arm4 service

4. Compile the arm4 sample program

$ cc -o arm4test_hello_throughput arm4test_hello_throughput.c -larm4

5. Run the systemtap script while running the arm4 sample program. I recommend starting the systemtap script before starting the sample. The sample has an infinite loop so stop it after 30 seconds or so.

The output I get shows the hex addresses of the futexes rather than the symbols. This makes it difficult to debug.

- Dave

----
Custom Software Solutions
http://www.davidcarter.ca