Re: [RFC] Framework for easy distribution of SystemTap scripts.

anithra wrote:

> [...] We would like to keep the framework in a seperate directory
> (similar to the initscript dir) for the sake of simplicity. (called
> distribution-framework or distribution-fw?)

You need to think about fit-and-finish issues such as man pages & test
cases, the installation siting of these files (changes to "make
install"), and packaging issues (changes to systemtap.spec).  Source
level location is a lesser matter.

> The directory would contain the following
> template.specfile
> template.install
> template.binextractor
> config.rpmoptions
> systemtap-rpm-generator   (This is the executable script)
> README

(<bikeshed>consider renaming systemtap-rpm-generator to stap-buildrpm</>)

> Let me know if any changes are needed (names of files/directory or
> contents). If there is any naming convention that i should adhere to
> please let me know.  [...]

Have you reviewed fedora packaging guidelines?  These scripts themselves
should be installed in a generally compatible manner.  Plus the *products*
of these scripts should also be generally compatible.

>> * --install -i Install the tapset rpm.
>> * --run -r Runs the scripts
>> for n minutes where n can be passed as a parameter. o The default value
>> is 10 minutes. Post processing is performed after the script completes.
>> * --start -s Invokes the script as a background process.
>> * --stop -x Stops the script and performs post processing.
>> * --uninstall -u Stops the script if running and uninstalls the rpm.
>> * --all Installs the rpm, runs the scrip, processes the output and
>> uninstalls the rpm.
>> * --help Displays this usage text.

It seems odd to have the file created by the framework-script to both
manage installation as well as execution of the compiled systemtap
materials.  Why install if it can be run directly?  If installed, how
else to execute the systemtap module except via this file?

Perhaps the stap-buildrpm widget should create a plain rpm that is
self-explanatory to install, within which a /usr/bin/FOO shell script
manage the execution of the script.

It may be nice if stap-buildrpm interfaced with stap-initscripts, so
that rpms produced this way were easily activatable from that scheme.