Re: probing C++, Java, etc.

On 04/07/2010 04:05 PM, Jim Keniston wrote:
> Has the stap team done anything special to support C++ tracing -- e.g.,
> name demangling, convenient access to C++ string values?

See PR10461.  For the most part it's the same as C, with the addition of
namespace::class::function scoping in probe points.  The debuginfo names
aren't mangled, which makes it a little easier, but we've talked about
maybe re-mangling names for brevity in pp() (possibly leaving it to the
user to pipe through c++filt).  Convenient access to strings is on my
"bonus" list, but it hasn't been done.

I think what we have for C++ is mostly Good Enough, but if I start
seeing requests it may re-energize me to do more... :)

> Any other languages I should mention, besides C?  Any other neat stap
> features that build on uprobes?

There are a few other packages built for static markers in Fedora, see:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemtapStaticProbes

Josh