Re: probing C++, Java, etc.

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 16:05 -0700, Jim Keniston wrote:
> I've seen several references to using it to probe Java apps via probes
> in the virtual machine.  Is bugzilla #11106 a good reference for this?

Yes, that bug report contains some nice URLs to things that "just work"
these days.

If IcedTea/OpenJDK (the GPLed java reference implementation) has been
configured with --enable-systemtap then the dtrace markers will be
compiled in and some convenience tapsets will be installed. On a Fedora
system look for hotspot.stp, hotspot_jni.stp and jstack.stp
in /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/tapset/ (also symlinked into
the appropriate /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/<arch>/ dir so they
automagically work). They contain lots of documentation on the various
probe points and jstack helper function.

> Any other languages I should mention, besides C?  Any other neat stap
> features that build on uprobes?

Python is shaping up nicely. Nice reference and examples are at the end
of:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemtapStaticProbes#Python_2

I had some live examples of both java and python in my Fosdem talk,
which worked out of the box on a recent Fedora 12 system (but see the
'no tricks' slide):
http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/HomePage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=fosdem-stap.pdf

Cheers,

Mark