Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04

Hello,
I am trying to build systemtap for the freescale imx31 (arm) processor.
I have successfully updated my kernel build with CONFIG_RELAY, CONFIG_DEBUG_FS, CONFIG_KPROBES, and CONFIG_DEBUG INFO.

I downloaded systemtap-1.2.tar.gz from the sourceware.org website.
>From my compile environment I attempted to run the systemtap configure script and got the output below.
It suggested that I cross compile using the --host option, but help does not provide info on this particular option.
Should I be using a different process to create my systemtap executable for the imx31?

Thanks.
[IMX BUILD]> cd systemtap-1.2/
[IMX BUILD]> ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in `/home/gkosteva/SVN_trunk/embedded/celiav1/imx31/stage/systemtap-1.2':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
[IMX BUILD]>