Re: Systemtap support for v1.3 on RHEL5

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:52:31AM -0000, Rob Donovan wrote:
> > > Just wanted to know, is the current release (ie v 1.3) supported on
> > > RHEL5?
> >
> > I use version 1.3 on RHEL 5.4 and 5.5. Simply install the matching
> > kernel-debug-info RPMs and compile systemtap from the tarball.
>
> I have already installed and used it, without problems, but what I'm kind of
> after is if its 'supported'.

As far as Red Hat Support is concerned, it's only supported if it comes
from Red Hat Network or the official ISO (debuginfos are an interesting
exception but it's been included in RHN starting from RHEL6). If you
build it from the tarball or the git repo, it's not supported by Red Hat
Support but in my experience, the SystemTap team will help you with
problems you may encounter (just be aware there is not contractual
obligation from either side when you go that way).

The details are a bit more complicated but that's the idea.
The support policies are available from
https://access.redhat.com/support/offerings/production/soc.html

I think the situation you describe falls under "Community projects
upon which enterprise releases are based" in the "Do not support"
section. If you are unsure about these things, I would suggest
asking your support representative :)

I work at Red Hat Support but I am writing this from home and do
not have access to RHN right now, so not able to check support status
of specific versions.

Hope this helps.