RE: interesting option of stap

> I provided you with our Android kernel (arm architecture of course). I checked some other Android kernel, 1 ubuntu kernel and 1 Linaro OMAP kernel, they all have .note.gnu.build-id section at 0 !!
>
> I will have a look at upstream vmlinux.lds.S (and NOTES macro) vs ours.

I looked at git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/common.git on a guess
that it might be an approximate basis for the code you're talking about.

arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S there indeed lacks any use of the NOTES
macro.  I think the place it probably belongs is before the use of the
RO_DATA macro.  I suspect that would make the build ID note come out
correctly.  You can look at the output of (eu-)readelf -S on the resultant
vmlinux file and that will indicate sufficiently for us to tell how it
went.  If you get such a kernel running, you can also look at 'hexdump -C
/sys/kernel/notes' to see if the notes got into the kernel properly so
they can be interrogated at runtime (this is used by some other tools to
locate the debuginfo that goes with the running kernel, though systemtap
does not rely on this).

Thanks,
Roland