Re: [ltt-dev] gdb-7.2 can't build with lttng-ust-0.12

On 04/26/2011 02:41 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Yes, the goal is to rely on sdt.h as soon as it supports a e.g.
> STAP_PROBEV (with variable number of args). The Josh Stone found a neat
> trick to do it, and I think he is preparing an updated version.

I committed STAP_PROBEV to systemtap.git a couple of weeks ago.  We just
haven't prepared a new release yet.  (soon...)

> The only concern here is the packaging: if we depend on sdt.h, we have
> to either ship it with UST, or have one more dependency on a package
> available for all architectures that only contain this header. Thoughts ?

In Fedora and RHEL, systemtap-sdt-devel.rpm contains the sdt.h header
and a "dtrace" python script.  The latter is only needed for projects
that are specifically building the DTrace way.  Distros that don't care
about that could get away with packaging just the header.

As for "all" architectures, there's very little arch-specific code in
sdt.h, currently contained in two defines.  There's _SDT_NOP for
choosing the variation of "nop" of "nop 0", and there's _SDT_ARGTMPL to
provide a special template for the powerpc case.  If other archs need
special consideration, we'll gladly accept patches.

Josh