Re: [linuxtools-dev] Alternative LTTng TMF Eclipse Plugin Input Formats

Hi,

If your traces are in binary, you will have to either provide a parser
or convert them to LTTgn binary format (using e.g. BabelTrace).

If your traces are in text, you might have better luck: if you have
XML traces or if your trace can be parsed using a regex then you can
use TMF to dynamically create (and store) a parser that will read your
trace and import it in the environment.

This stuff is in the released code base and works for our internal
tools but is not advertised or even documented in the User Guide: the
User Guide is only for LTTng while this feature is part of the
underlying framework (TMF) that is not yet split from LTTng. TMF is
also the foundation for the upcoming GDB Tracepoints and UST (User
Space Tracing) that haven't been released yet.

Since we haven't released yet any interesting tools to analyze
non-LTTng traces, you will be more or less limited to viewing,
searching, filtering, etc, from the Events View... Unless you write
your own and (being a great guy) contribute it back :-)

Anyway, if you have more specific questions about parsing or text
parsing, feel free to ask.

Regards,
/fc