This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the systemtap project.
Re: Tune reader_thread poll timeout value
- From: Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat dot com>
- To: "Turgis, Frederic" <f-turgis at ti dot com>
- Cc: "systemtap at sourceware dot org" <systemtap at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 10:46:11 +0200
- Subject: Re: Tune reader_thread poll timeout value
- References: <28BE1A38672C8B4481BB423D0FD1F22E18F55BE1@DNCE04.ent.ti.com>
On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 20:09 +0000, Turgis, Frederic wrote:
> The last non tunable or small duration source of wake-up is
> "reader_thread" ppoll timeout value, every 200ms. We compile systemtap
> with a value of 2s or more for our daily use.
> So I am proposing to introduce tunables below as an example. Don't
> know if I should have correlated s and ns, also don't know if this
> should also be applied to relay_old.c. Please tell me if this is an
> acceptable change:
I agree with Frank that it would be nicer to have one "tunable" instead
of two. Also don't forget to add some small documentation to stap.1
describing the default value and implications of tuning it higher/lower.