Re: add me to the xconq mailing list

   From: "Anthony Veale'" <veale@casa.Colorado.EDU>
   Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:11:57 -0700 (MST)

   >OK, you're on.  It's xconq7@cygnus.com, about 70 people on it, mostly
   >technically knowledgeable, generally quiet except for bursts of
   >discussion about what to do next.  Feel free to speak up, and welcome!

   Thanks.  Is the list archived so that I can get up to speed?

No, but I could collect the last round of discussion, which was on
priorities, and make that a start at archival.

   BTW, I'm an amiga user at home and over the next few months, in my
   admittedly limited free time, I want to port 7.1.0 as a learning
   experience.  I.e. I've hacked other people's programs on Unix and a
   small amount of X11, but this will be my first amiga attempt.  (Don't
   worry, I'll get through "hello, world" before I try xconq.  :-)

Have you seen the Amiga port that somebody did by writing an X client
library emulation?  I don't think it would work with current Xconq
code, but it's a starting place.  If you tackle the full port, I would
suggest getting cconq (the curses version) to run first; the
"graphics" are much less complicated, but the game is still fully
functional.  The curses interface also shows you the minimum required
support; the X11 and Mac interfaces are somewhat daunting, but they
have lots of features and frills that have been added over the years.

							Stan

PS There are snapshots more recent than 7.1.0 at ftp.cygnus.com; look
in xconq/Snapshots...