Re: problems with xc7.1.89

   From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@ipifidpt.difi.unipi.it>
   Date: 03 Mar 1997 13:45:42 +0100

   To start with, ./configure did not find X (lib and include dirs).

Hmm, on mine (RH 4.0) it finds X includes but not libs, and so for the
moment I added LDFLAGS and set it correctly when making.  Something must
have been dropped from the configure script recently.

   I mimimally hacked Imakefiles (to fix GAMELIBDIR) and went with xmkmf.
   I'll send Stan the patches Real Soon Now(TM).

OK.  I have some other Imakefile patches, but will wait to work on that
until I get yours.

   makeinfo fails in the doc directory:

I've fixed these in my sources.  Texinfo is pickier than it used to be...

   When I run xconq and especially xshowimf, I get lots of messages
   Warning: c_number of non-number `nil' being taken, returning `nil' instead.

Curious, I haven't seen any of those.  Have you got older library?  Since
I'm whacking junk out of GDL, it's important to download latest libraries
and images also.

   Now for the more serious stuff:

   The panner no longer displays the world map; I guess this derives from
   terrains no longer having a color.  I am lost (literally, I was using
   the world map in the panner to get my bearings).  Stan, do you have
   plans to fix this?  What was the motivation to remove terrain color
   anyway?

Color and image are not orthogonal, but were being treated as if they
were, which led to some bizarre situations where the terrain would change
appearance radically at different magnifications, or would look different
in the panner vs on the main map.  Sorry about breaking the panner pixmap!
To fix, we need to use the same algorithm for drawing into the panner as
is used on the map.  This will have other advantages as well.

   Color white is still saved/restored incorrectly under X.  This should
   be easy to fix.

I think I fixed that already, but will check.

   Resources are again saved/restored incorrectly.  To check this, just
   save a standard game with some infantry in plains, after it moved.
   Restore and finish the turn: the infantry will have one food point
   less.  I think that the problem is in kernel/init.c, where
   init_unit_actorstate wipes out acp and actualmoves.  BTW, Stan, I
   regard this as a *serious* bug.

OK, I'll look at it.  Next snapshot should be coming up shortly.