Re: Server-only Xconq

   Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:47:27 +0100 (MET)
   From: Jan Jona Javorsek <jan.javorsek@guest.arnes.si>

   When dealing with server-client bugs I mentioned the importance of servers
   with no display. I would like to hear your opinions. I suspect not much
   work would be involved in that, but the benefit would be great since
   several modem-connected players could start a server on a machine with a
   direct internet connection and then connect to it. We are looking at the
   quakeworld paradigm here.

There's no real obstacle I can think of.  There might be a detail or
two that needs tweaking - for instance the server would need some new
heuristics about when to shut itself down.

   This would allow master game servers where players use web to specify the
   game parameters and start the game and then connect with their xconq
   clients. We are looking at a new dimension.

Is there a specific example (preferably free) of this approach that I
should look at and try playing?  I'd like to get a firsthand understanding
of how this is supposed to work.

   BTW, are client-server connections platform independant? Can I play with a
   mac client and X server?

Yes and theoretically yes.  My aging Macs have networking troubles, so I
haven't actually tested the combination, but the protocol is ASCII-only
and makes no reference to any platform-specific details.