Re: Xconq 7.2.1 Preview Available

   From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@mailbox.difi.unipi.it>
   Date: 26 May 1998 09:16:13 +0200

   Stan Shebs <shebs@cygnus.com> writes:

   >    Can you try to undo the changes you introduced in 7.2.1?
   >
   > Changes are pretty massive, and affect the generic<->platform-specific
   > code interface.  (I know, I know, not supposed to do that for a patch
   > level release...)  At this point it would be easier to fix xshowimf;
   > I'll jump on that.

   I meant undo the changes to xshowimf; but now I see that most changes
   are in the imf library.

xshowimf is fixed now.

   > There is one other bug fix that might justify a 7.2.1 respin or else a
   > 7.2.2 - X11 games using default images need a patch (which I've
   > written already) to keep from crashing.

   There is another problem: several images don't have proper masks.
   Often the mask is identical to the b/w image, e.g. siege engine; this
   means that the black background + white mask + black image we are
   using to show utypes is all black.  (BTW, I think white or gray
   background + white mask + black image looks better.)

Hasn't this been broken for awhile?  I remember noticing this some time
ago.

xshowimf's Mac counterpart IMFApp defaults to medium gray, with menus
to change the background to white, black, green, a selected terrain
pattern, etc.  (Once again the Mac rules! :-) )

   Since I don't feel like debugging xshowimf (I'm debugging a numerical
   simulation code of mine just now), I could fix the broken masks.
   I can work on images, I still have 7.2 installed. :-)

Incidentally, I'm considering doing a tcl/tk version of IMFApp, as a
test of the tcl approach.  I would add in xshowimf features as well as
carry over the Mac tool's goodies.

							Stan