Re: More proposals (was Re: Sieges...)

Sami P Perttu <perttu@cc.helsinki.fi> writes:

> -In reality, WW2 era air units couldn't wipe out armies. They should
>  somehow be restricted to ground support missions in that respect. In
>  order to implement that I suggest a new concept, "pressure". Some
>  attacks could cause pressure in place of, or in addition of, potential
>  damage. When a unit is under pressure it has lower chances to survive
>  any subsequent battles and a higher chance to be forced to withdraw
>  when attacked. Pressure could last one turn only or be gradually
>  diminished over many turns. The concept of pressure could be used to
>  simulate concerted attacks, too - something I gather is missing
>  entirely from XConq at the moment.

You can soak defenders' ACPs without damaging them: bombers won't hurt
infantry, but they will neutralize it, and ground units will be able
to destroy it easily.  There is an example (sort of) in the xcdesign
manual, node Game Design / Unit Combat:

    Consider battleships vs infantry; although combat between the two
    rarely causes much damage, an attack by a battleship will cause
    the infantry to keep their heads down, and preventing them from
    doing much else, while the return rifle fire is unlikely to
    disturb the battleship much!

Current xconq GDL should be able to simulate concerted attacks using
the ACP system: units under pressure won't have ACPs left to do
anything.

Another thing you may consider is using "morale".

> -There is some muddiness in the action point system that I can't
>  quite recall at the moment. I'll investigate if anyone cares.

Please do, any muddiness should go away.

> As nice as the standard game is, it's really just a frantic action game
> with the current rules. I want more depth, please.

"ww2-adv" is supposed to provide depth.  "standard" is just a simple
game loosely based on ww2 era.

> Yes, Empires In Arms comes to mind... there is a wealth of excellent
> rules regarding sieges in various board games, just adapt some from
> there.

I'm no board game adept. ;-)  Anybody cares to post to the list a set
of rules for sieges?

Keep the ideas flowing...
		Massimo Campostrini