User Interface Poll

Hans Ronne hronne@2.sbbs.se
Sun Jul 25 01:48:00 GMT 1999

>That's very true.  I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be separate
>preferences and per-map viewing settings, that's clearly a desirable
>feature.

Sorry, I misunderstood you on that point. As long as it is possible to
tinker with the view settings without changing the prefs, I think you have
all the functionality you could possibly want. With only one map, as in
tcltk, it does makes sense to apply the new prefs to the map so that the
user can see what the new settings look like without quitting the game. If
you have multiple maps, like in the mac version, you would still like to
retain the possibility of having different view settings for different
maps, an option which is effectively killed by any scheme that applies new
prefs to all maps. This is particularly true for the world map, which is
just another map, but with different view settings.

I'm not a great fan of the "Apply" button either. Sometimes, you find it in
apps that were ported from Windows, and its does nothing on the mac. The
programmers were just to lazy to redesign the dialog. Still, one could of
course be more specific. If one button said "Apply to all maps now" and the
other "Apply only to new maps" I don't think you would need a Ph.D. to
figure that one out :-).

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@2.sbbs.se