Re: Unix/Win GUI re-evaluation

   Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:33:05 +0200
   From: Bruno Boettcher <bboett@erm1.u-strasbg.fr>

   > GTK+ sure is very complete and it will not just disappear. There is Qt...
   GTK is surely a good choice, may i throw in again the suggestion of using
   java?

I've been monitoring Java development, reading books on it and so forth.
Cygnus has a bunch of Java->native work going on for GNU tools, so that
helps also.  At this point I don't have a credible architecture for a
Java-based interface that would be of sufficient performance.  For example,
I don't know if the map-drawing code could be done in C by getting a window
handle out of Swing and passing it through the JNI.

Rather than pondering the imponderables though, it would be really useful
to look at an existing Java app that does intensive graphics a la Xconq,
and see how it handles all the problems.  Does anybody know of a set of
Java sources that satisfies requirements similar to Xconq's?  We could
take a look at that.