New Standard Game?

I've been thinking about the standard game.  While it's very familiar,
and has more depth than is at first apparent, it's also, well, a
little *too* familiar.  The fundamentals of the game design haven't
changed in literally 10 years, and if you've played it a thousand
times, there's not much left to learn about it.

I can see two basic ways to go here.  One is to make small
enhancements; add hill terrain, add radar, mines, missiles, etc a la
Lynn Stanton's and other enhanced versions.  While this would help,
it seems a little timid to me.

The other way is to define a whole new game that has the same general
flavor, but is more complex.  I've sketched out a design that is
similar to postmodern in that it has a larger number of unit types,
but that is set in the present day, with little or no tech development
time needed.  There are about 8 types of ground units, about 10 naval
(including missile subs), about 8 types of air/space units, and about
10 types of places, including barracks/HQs for ground units, ports,
and ICBM silos.  The design also includes about 5 types of materials,
but the emphasis of the game is still on warfighting not logistics -
the materials are just to keep things organized.  There would be a
couple more types of terrain, but nothing extreme.

The goal for the new game is that it would become the standard game
and thus get more development and tuning than the average library
game.  It would become what new players see when they first fire up
Xconq.

So, what do people think?  I can supply more detail on the new design
if anyone's interested; it's currently residing on three pieces of
paper, nothing's been tried yet.