Re: Internationalization

> I had some thoughts on internationalization of xconq long ago.  Text
> generation needs a bit of machinery: e.g. most European languages
> require adjectives to match nouns in gender and number (and case),
> verbs are generally a mess etc.  FreeCiv has basically no text
> generation, and translation of fixed phrases is so much easier.
true, but simple phrase generation shouldn't be too hard, even if the phrase
structure sometimes becomes harsh :)

> Then there is the problem of charsets, which FreeCiv didn't address
> yet (I think); iso-latin-1 covers pretty much of western Europe, but
> Farsi, Russian, Japanese...
yep... means moving over to unicode?

> BTW, Bruno, how's with the story of Senator Pierre Laffitte who
> whishes to force the French public administration to use free software
> (liberte', egalite', fraternite' et logiciels libres)?  Is he serious?
he is dead serious! And he's not alone, they made a sum of all the
software-licence they pay to the dark side, and shocked a lot of people :)

> Has he got any chances?
difficult to say, since it is a politician i thought that they would make a
bullet-proof proposal, but at the moment it isn't. They may be attacked on
freedom of speach (thus freedom to use any tool) but there's a hughe
discussion on the web site of the senate, with lots of people (me included ;D)
who make sensed and contructive criticism, thus i think that the final
proposal will have great chances of success.

In the first turn i hope that they will declare commercial document formats
illegal (here's a big consens, and that idea turns since long in the french
senate), and then enforce open standards, encouraging the use of free software
tools and cutting back consequently the budgets for software :D (and putting
the collected money in (free) software development hopefully, the request is
there ...)

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net