Re: Proposed change, fundamental invariant

>> The mac drawing code works fine with cylindrical areas now, though it took
>> some blod, sweat and tears to get there. Maybe some of that stuff, such as
>> the UNWRAP macros, could be generalized? Or at least reused in the tcltk
>> code.
>
>I should take a look at those, I've forgotten the theory involved...

The theory was simple. A cylindrical gworld (or rather a cylindrical
mapping from gworld to screen). That's why you can scroll around the world
as many times as you like without redrawing anything on the mac. The UNWRAP
macros just draw everything that crosses the dateline (the seam in the
mapping) twice, at each end of the gworld. Important to get everything
right.

I don't think that you could get this to work with the isometric views,
though. The problem is that all six views are skewed with respect to the
axis of the world cylinder. I guess it's not possible to get truly
isometric drawing that is just a slanted version of the normal map (like on
the mac) or you would already have gone for that?

>> P.S. The isometric stuff looks nice, but could we have the solid color
>> option back for those terrains that lack isometric images? Right now,
>> nothing is drawn in that case.
>
>Just fixed in the fix 5 minutes ago, along with hash tables for unit
>views, so your speed problems should be solved too.

Great job! The game is now faster than ever before.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se