Re: my two cents on networked games

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> Speed is not a big consideration either way as far as I know - either
> X or the remote protocol is likely to be too slow to play over a
> 28.8kbps or similar modem.  More of a hunch than a careful analysis,
> though....

If Xconq is to be a widely played and accepted game, not only the network
code issues, but speed issues too have to be resolved. If I can play Quake
3 and Total Annihilation (a good but memory hogging *real time* game which
uses a completely dumb network approach and is basicaly sending chunks of
memory up and down, with up to 500 animated units per player) over a 28800
modem and Xconq can't handle the same connection, that means something is
wrong with Xconq.

-Jan