Re: Freeciv vs. Xconq

Stan Shebs wrote:
> Xconq's generic term is "AI player" too, "mplayer" is a particular
> type of AI.  Xconq allows multiple AI types, although only two
> are implemented so far ("iplayer" being the other one).

It was this piece of text in doc/xconq.texi that led me to that
conclusion:
> In games with two players, your interaction is usually pretty simple,
> @i{i.e.} bash on each other.  In games with many players, some human,
> some mechanical, it is possible to have a variety of relationships,
> ranging from complete trust to complete hostility.

> ???  The standard game's infantry and armor are mostly shades of
> green

Yea. Another guy told me this earlier today. Then I started a game, and
when I increased the brilliance of my monitor, I discovered that thoose
two units actually are green rather than black.

>, and towns/cities are multicolored.  Ships and aircraft are
> mostly gray, but that's generally true of corresponding trident
> images also.  The civ2 module uses trident imagery of course, so
> no difference there.  It *is* the case that many of Xconq's games
> still only have b/w unit icons though.

> > * Sound
> >   > Both:
> >     - No sound at all.
>
> Actually, the Mac interface does have sound, and GDL has
> machinery to specify which sounds to play.  I'll probably
> add it to the Linux version when I get sound to work on my
> machine at all...

I'll add a note about it. (Even I have a Linux machine here with working
sound. Once I even had midi working, but that was before i installed
ALSA. Now I can only play recorded audio formats.)

> A few more things you should mention:
> the support for multiple AI types
> ability to have different sets of images for different zoom levels
> separate low-level and high-level AI planning

I'll add this.

> seasons, climate, and weather

I've added this.

I don't know for how long you have been following Freeciv, but a while
ago Tim Smith released a great set of Civ2 graphics under the GPL to
make them availible to Freeciv. See
<http://www.freeciv.org/news/y2000/news_2000.phtml>. The link to the
zipfile may be broken by now, but I have the files here if anyone wants
to see them. (Hint: The content of cities.gif impressed *me* a lot.)