Re: Game module versioning

>So here's my modified proposal that accounts for Hans' concerns.
>game.dir lists all games that could reasonably be launched,
>excluding only support modules.  Then have two checkboxes:
>first one says "List unfinished games also" and the second
>says "List all games".  To get on the default list, the game
>must have a version of "1.0" or greater.  The unfinished games
>have versions "0.x", while the rest of the games can have anything
>for versions, or no version info at all.  So in the case of a retired
>game ("Classic" for instance), its version would be "(retired) 1.0".

My concern was mainly with being able to remove games from the default list
without downgrading the version number, and putting in "retired" would
handle that. One more checkbox would probably confuse the player. Just one
checkbox, "List all games" or perhaps even better, two radio buttons, "List
all games" and "List default games" would be good enough.

BTW, do we really need a "game.dir" file in this case? Its only remaining
purpose would be to exclude support modules from being listed. I would say:
if we move playability info from "game.dir" to the game files, lets be
consistent and also do this for the support modules. They could easily be
labeled as "support" or "unplayable" so that they would never be listed.

Hans

P.S. I hope this would not change the current behaviour where the base
module of every game module also is included in the default list. The base
modules are often more interesting to play than specific games since they
are randomized.

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se