Re: New flags.

Erik Sigra wrote:

> Hi,
> I saw you fixed the 16x16 flags. The Swedish is OK now. The 8x8 doesn't have
> the correct total proportions. And it looks much smaller than most other
> flags. I don't know what's best, but here are some suggestions. 1: current.
> 2: correct proportions and correct total amount of every color (my best
> suggestion), although not correct width of every filed. 3: Extra yellow
> column. 4: Color mixing (looks quite OK when not zoomed in).

I actually tried out all these alternatives, and concluded that the
original was still the closest mathematically and visually.  3. is
definitely out.  4. is weak because you're combining a sharp horizontal
stripe with a fuzzy vertical, which destroys the illusion that the
vertical is a narrow stripe "in between" pixels.  I looked at 2 for
awhile, but the striped is only a half-pixel away from running down
the center, and it seems to me the essence of the design is to have
the cross offset.  Shrinking the flag by one pixel gets the proportions
a little closer to what they should be, without fuzzing anything.

Even so, if choice 2 is the most pleasing to the Swedish eye,
then that's the way to go.  (Analogously, while one can tinker
with the number of stripes and stars in an American flag, if
the outermost stripes on top and bottom are not red, the image
will look wrong to Americans, even if they don't know why.)