Re: newbie questions

>> 2. Can unit A influence the combat value of unit B? Surrounding an enemy
>>unit or flanking them would negatively influence that unit's morale or
>>combat ability in most cases. Is there a way to reflect this in xconq?
>
>All I can think of are the tables stack-protection and
>cellwide-protection-{for,against}, which just describe
>defensive modifiers.  It would be a good idea to add some
>notion of attacker support as well.

Actually, the new tables I added some time ago do exactly that. One use is
in the lord-rings game where the Ring increases the attack value of its
carrier 10-fold.

Excerpt from table.def:

/* These tables are similar to uu_protection and ut_defend_terrain_effect
etc. However, a higher value now means a stronger defense, whereas the
opposite was true for the old tables, where 0 stood for full protection.
The tables are intended for combat model 1, but support for some of them
has been added in combat model 0. */

DEF_UU_TABLE("occupant-affects-attack", uu_occ_affects_attack,
	"effect that occupant has on the attack value of the transport",
	uuoccaffectsattack, constuuoccaffectsattack, 0, 100, TABHI, TABINT)

DEF_UU_TABLE("occupant-affects-defense", uu_occ_affects_defense,
	"effect that occupant has on the defense value of the transport",
	uuoccaffectsdefense, constuuoccaffectsdefense, 0, 100, TABHI, TABINT)

DEF_UU_TABLE("transport-affects-attack", uu_transport_affects_attack,
	"effect that transport has on the attack value of the occupant",
	uutransportaffectsattack, constuutransportaffectsattack, 0, 100,
TABHI, TABINT)

DEF_UU_TABLE("transport-affects-defense", uu_transport_affects_defense,
	"effect that transport has on the defense value of the occupant",
	uutransportaffectsdefense, constuutransportaffectsdefense, 0, 100,
TABHI, TABINT)

DEF_UT_TABLE("terrain-affects-attack", ut_terrain_affects_attack,
	"effect that terrain has on the attack value of the attacker",
	utterrainaffectsattack, constutterrainaffectsattack, 0, 100, TABHI,
TABINT)

DEF_UT_TABLE("terrain-affects-defense", ut_terrain_affects_defense,
	"effect that terrain has on the defense value of the defender",
	utterrainaffectsdefense, constutterrainaffectsdefense, 0, 100,
TABHI, TABINT)

DEF_UU_TABLE("neighbour-affects-attack", uu_neighbour_affects_attack,
	"effect that a friendly unit in the same cell has on the attack
value of the attacker",
	uuneighbouraffectsattack, constuuneighbouraffectsattack, 0, 100,
TABHI, TABINT)

DEF_UU_TABLE("neighbour-affects-defense", uu_neighbour_affects_defense,
	"effect that a friendly unit in the same cell has on the defense
value of the defender",
	uuneighbouraffectsdefense, constuuneighbouraffectsdefense, 0, 100,
TABHI, TABINT)

There is no support yet for the effect of enemy units, though.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se