Re: Managed to compile xconq-7.4.1 on windows (98).

>Hello Stan and Hans!
>
>Just wanted to let you know that now once I've got a better clue about
>stuff, I've managed to
>compile (and run) XC7.4.1 on my windows box.  It seems like the wconq.c
>file is adopted to another
>set of X-development files than those I used (which is the precompiled
>xc-4.0-development X files
>from Cygnus/Redhat).  The fact that I had to do some changes to wconq.c
>AND actually also Xlib.h
>(the latter qualifies me to be a sinner, doesn't it :-) to make the
>compilation produce working
>code.

This is great news! Your hacks to wconq.c should be checked in as soon as
possible. I'm surprised that you could get it to work since it was rather
outdated (calling functions that no longer exist etc.).

>Perhaps I should also create a web page describing how I got the beast
>compiling under windows but
>that takes some time to do and my only option is to put it on that
>geocities page of mine (which
>sometimes is... slow).

With a link from the xconq homepage of course.

>Nevertheless, I've only played the 7.2.96 and 7.4.1 games alone (against
>machine players) and I
>feel I need to test this 7.4.1 binary in a network game before I start
>trying to create a package
>similar to your zip file for XC7.2.96.

That's definitely a good idea. Most of the changes that broke wconq.c had
to do with the network startup sequence. You should check out the changes
Stan made in the tcltk code (and I just ported to the mac), if you have not
already done that.

>BTW, I might perhaps take the responsibility of ensuring that there always
>are binary versions for
>Windows available if you want that.

That would be great. Lots of people have been asking for a Windows binary
recently, as I'm sure you noticed.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se