Re: Names (was Re: Hello again)

torsdagen den 15 februari 2001 17:13 skrev Stan Shebs:
> The fundamental purpose of all this is to build games, right?
> So for every element you need to say "Is this entertaining?  Is this
> fun for the player?"

A very addictive game is Age of Empires/Kings. They worked very hard on the
historical accuracy, but I haven't found any humor at all in that game.

> One way to entertain is to immerse, thus Civ's use of evocative names - the
> use of "Rome" immediately brings up memories and context, even for players
> who've only seen movies like "Spartacus" or "Gladiator".  By contrast,
> "Sturni" is not at all evocative, even though there was believed to be such
> a town in Italy in ancient times.  (The name is not made up, good luck
> finding out exactly where it was, heh-heh.)

My best guess is 16°25' Eastern Length, 39°15' Nothern Height.

> > But why should Xconq have this precise categorization? Xconq doesn't have
> > such nationalistic name-calling.
> > 1. To be compatible with Freeciv. One day someone will make Freeciv and
> > Xconq use the same installed namers on the users system, because he
> > thinks duplication is ugly and difficult to maintain and he wants to save
> > space.
>
> It's only a few kilobytes though, hardly noticeable compared to the
> megabytes of image data and program.

Speaking of image data, I was actually thinking of a package containing
flags, namers, images of city improvements, units, historical text data and
stuff.  Maybe even some program functions.

> > 2. When Xconq becomes as popular as Freeciv is now, the issues will also
> > come to Xconq.
>
> Yeah, probably.  I personally don't want to deal with it a whole lot
> right now, Xconq has already has too much detritus from things added
> in anticipation of demand that never materialized.  Sometimes the code
> reminds me of a shopping mall with empty storefronts all over...

Do it when you want.