Re: GBerg Brigade Level Game

gbisset@juno.com wrote:

> Gents,
>
> I am working on the GBerg module trying to develop a brigade level game
> that suits me, and I am having trouble understanding how to modify the
> combat effects. Is there anyone  interested in tactical level games that
> can give me some advice?

Combat model 0 is probably the right way to go, since at the
brigade tactical level it's more common to have units retreat or
surrender than for them to automatically fight to the death.

This model falls down for gettysburg.g in a couple related areas:
it doesn't account for being attacked from several sides, and
there is no penalty for being completely surrounded.  There used
to be a "siege" table that had some of the right characteristics,
but right now there's nothing suitable, and while I've sketched
some ideas, nothing has seemed to have the right characteristics.
A game with a high chance of damage or retreat when faced on
5 sides, and near certainty of surrender when surrounded, will
naturally tend to evolve battles of opposing lines.  The AI would
have to be educated about this - this is another reason to implement
"task forces", where in this case the task force is a line of units
that must advance in the same direction at the same time.