Re: Quick and dirty newbie

Cordeval wrote:

> 1) I want to have players build armies and move them about.  When their
> opposing armies meet, a "battle maker" is placed and data is returned to
> game manager (me) and to both players to assist in setting up the battle
> resolution via alternative means than XCONQ.  Alternatively and most
> desirable is to have no need for a game manager/umpire...see #2
>
> 2) I want game umpire, or preferably, players, have a screen for them to
> enter in battle results that then are used to edit the XCONQ units (armies)
> at the former battle location.

Nobody's done anything like this, although I've thought about
adding some sort of manual control of combat outcomes, for use in
scripted events and such.

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing that this could be handled with
a new "combat model", where instead of calculating the result, the
program pops up a dialog asking for the outcome.  Probably take a
couple hundred lines of C plus several dozen lines of tcl to
implement, at least for the tcl/tk interface.  I don't think you'd
need an umpire, either set the dialog to pop up for all players and
go down for all players right after one of them has been answered,
or else arbitrarily choose the player that will see the dialog.