Re: Converting xconq to C++

>One of the perils of being a newbie is you are not sure what issues have
>been flogged to death already and what causes flame wars. Anyway here goes.

I recall a discussion about this last year, but I wouldn't say the issue
has been flogged to death :-).

>I'm looking to contribute to xcnq by enhancing the unit movement code, it
>seems that the program is now sufficiently large and complex that
>'objectification' might help readability and maintainability. Translating it
>to C++ and then enhancing the object model would help greatly in my view
>(actually I'd prefer Java but that's too big a step). I'm sure most people
>already have/use gcc. The code is very well written so the translation would
>not be too arduous, e.g. a 'unit' could become a C++ object fairly simply.
>
>This is a major undertaking and needs to occur with a stable codebase. Does
>this seem like a good idea (set aside whether it is doable), would it be
>possible to do incrementally?

I have no idea. Certainly sounds like a lot of work.

>BTW, is a next release planned any time soon?

We were supposed to have at least one during the spring, but that never
happenend. Too bad, really, I've had a network version of XconqPPC lying
around since January that is ready for prime time.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se