Re: limit on # of sides

>Is there any way around the limit on the number of sides, which I believe
>was stated to be 32?  I have in mind doing a scenario from 1st century BC
>Roman Wars, with several major sides (Rome, Parthia, Mithridates,
>Sertorius/Iberians, Pirates, Egypt, Syria) and quite a number of minor
>ones (Judea, Meroe, Aidabene, Galacia, Rhodes, Numidia, Nabatea and
>various tribes/nomads from Africa, the MidEast and Europe, including
>Celts, Germans, Beduin, Arabs, etc.)
>Thanks
>Earl J. Heinrich
>eheinr007@aol.com

The limit is set by MAXSIDES macro in config.h. It is actually 15 right
now, but you can increase it to 30 without problems. Going beyond that
would require a lot of kernel hacking since a 32-bit vector (the SideMask)
is used to represent the sides (with 2 bits being reserved for NOSIDES and
ALLSIDES).

I suggest you try out 30 sides first, after recompiling with a new MAXSIDES
value, and see how far that would take you. 30 sides is a lot, believe me.
The Ancient Near East game, which is huge, uses only 9 sides + independents.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se