OT: Want to switch HW platform (Pc -> Mac)

Hi,

this is OT in regards to xconq7, but I try anyway since there are
developers of both platforms on this mailing list who have experience with
both and I hope I won't start a flame war.

After many years as Windows/Linux(x86)/Solaris(Sparc) user I am starting
to get tired of the x86 platform. I used to love installing new linux
distributions and compiling new kernels and so on, but now this is all
'been there, done that'. I have now seriously started to consider buying
a notebook from Apple since I wanted to get mobile. The new OS X looks ok
but I have very little experience with the availability of GNU software or
share/freeware for Apple. If some of you Apple guys out there have some
urls to share for Mac I would be happy to check them out.

I'll use it for mail, surf, c++, java, tcl/tk and some web development so
if you know that one or more of these will be impossible or expencive (buy
the compiler instead of using GNU/free/share) it would be an argument to
consider.

Kind regards,
Svenn