RE: JConq

A major influence on my development has been the pattern
movement/discipline.  The fundamental philosophy there is that we should
focus reuse on proven, existing solutions, rather then debate and die on
academically "purer" solutions.

Every major commercially successful computer-based strategy game that I am
aware of in the last five uses a square-based grid.  Now I've already said
that I am not a UI person, so I can only speculate about why this is
true.  However, I am very reluctant to discard the example of these highly
successful games.

By the same token, if this change impacts every aspect of XConq, then JConq
wouldn't be a port or re-write, it would be a new program.