Alternatives implementations

I am just a lurker, but I would like to throw something into
the pot before returning to lurk mode.

Has anyone considered Python?  There are some good things
happening at e.g. http://civil.sourceforge.net using Python and SDL,
and Python has a fairly straightforward way of calling existing C
code.

A Python XConq implementation could start off with a simple SDL
wrapper based on the existing SDL implementation, and then incrementally
spread through the core code if successful.

Disclaimer: I have not looked at the source for a long time now, so
I could be talking upper rubbish here.