Re: advances.g, unit construction speed

>      Fix extremely slow construction in the advances game.
>     * advances.g (cp): Set to 10 for most units and 20 for facilities.

>Any desire to elaborate on the rationale for the enclosed?  It undoes
>the patch I made a while ago.

The main problem was that it took much too long to build the first few
units. If it takes 30 turns just to get started, nobody will want to play
the game more than once.

I don't see the massive proliferation of units later in the game as a
problem, since that is what is supposed to happen when you develop your
civilization. There is another reason not to have big differences in
construction costs and that is that the ai can't handle such differences
well. I did have different unit costs in an early version of the advances
game but skipped it because of poor ai performance.

I agree that a workable solution might be low starting costs (say 10 cp for
colonizers) followed by a more moderate increase in costs. Only game
testing can tell. However, I think a better way to curb unit numbers might
be to slow down city growth. But again, it is important that this does not
happen during the first 20 turns or so, or the average player will loose
interest in the game.

I have long intended to improve the advanced construction part of the ai,
and also integrate it better with the rest of the ai code, but other stuff
such as the network game always came in between.

Speaking of the new network code, has anybody found any bugs yet? How is
real life performance? It is better to fix any problems now than after a
release. Which hopefully will be soon.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se