Re: printable online docs

* Erik Jessen (ejessen@adelphia.net) wrote:
> OK, so where does one find a good editor (one that generates TOC, numbers
> pages, etc.)
> for these various formats?

Well, if tex may be an intermediate format, it is really easy to number
pages and generate tocs, indexes, table of figures for the resulting
dvi, ps or pdf. With hyperef, it's even possible to have hyperlinks in
the dvi and pdf. To create html from tex, hevea is a great choice (if
you want a look at what can be done with hevea, you might be interested
by http://caml.inria.fr/oreilly-book/, which is a translation of a book
about ocaml ... the source of the book was in tex, and it got
automatically translated to html).

The only issue with tex is it's not wysiwyg. But since tex files are
simply text files, any text editor works well.

> Remember that if we're truly going to support the largest number of
> players/users, there has
> to be a viewer/editor that works under Windows & Mac, as well as UNIX.
>
> That's why I figured Word was a good format - StarOffice can read it too, so
> one covers
> just about all the OSes.

My problem with .doc is that it seems to be lacking structure compared
to tex, and there is also the issue of all the different .doc format out
there. I don't know which word is supported on mac os 9, or on mac os
X, for instance.

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.