Re: Design questions for a galactic civilization game (long)

> What I want is to be able to create terraforming facilities that could
> transform an inhospitable would (e.g. Mars) into a hospitable one
> (e.g. Earth), but not in a single turn!!!

I guess you'd make the facility a unit (which doesn't move and takes a
suitable amount of time/materials to construct).  I don't know if you
already tried that.

> 4. Is it possible to tell units exactly what they can and cannot share
> with other units, short of disabling it in the out-length table?

Is it possible for a user to tell the units?  Stan's general feeling
was that doing this manually is tedious.  I don't entirely agree (I
use the "g" (give) and "t" (take) commands quite a bit in the standard
game), but I'm not sure what a reasonable user interface would be
like.  I agree it could easily be tedious.

> 7. Are there any plans to set up Xconq to allow players to choose which
> cells an advanced unit is drawing resources from, like a player can in
> Civ?

Yes, you can do this, at least in the tcltk user interface.  I've done
it is advances.g.  When the advanced unit is selected, it shows you
the cells is draws from, and you just click on them to add/remove.

> 10. Are there any plans to implement any kind of semi-AI-control, so
> that a player could assign a "Defensive" plan to a star fighter, an
> "Exploratory" plan

There's a limited version of this in the tcltk code, but it has
various quirks, and I'm not sure it works at all at the moment.

> Are there plans to create a "Transport" plan any time soon?

Well, it is sorely needed.  But as usual, the supply of volunteers is
smaller than the supply of projects :-(.

> 12. Is there any way other than doctrines to tell a unit how many of
> another unit to build?

What's wrong with doctrines?  The standard game uses them for this.

> Outposts solve the problem by sending and receiving anything (except
> food) up to 8 cells away.  Can the AI figure that out and take
> advantage of that and build outposts between its civilizations?

No, the AI has very simple-minded ideas of when to build a base.  See
log.g for an example of a game in which this comes up (similar to the
standard game).

> Are there any plans to incorporate any sort of city dialog like the
> one in Civ?  If you're interested, I could design some dialog boxes
> with GTK+ that might be appropriate.

Uh, I think we probably want to stick with SDL and/or tcltk.