The "Colonizing" plan

While testing the "Colonizer" game that I spoke of earlier, I noticed
that the AI does some strange things when a unit has a "Colonizing"
plan.

If a unit has a "Colonizing" plan, it oftentimes has a task such as
"Move dir E, 6 times."  The choice of direction and distance seems to be
random; sometimes it will cause a colonizer to try to enter hostile
terrain.

Is this intentional, or is it just incomplete AI code?