Re: Death of an advanced unit

>On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 23:19, Hans Ronne wrote:
>> This is as it should be. acp-independent units don't have acps, so there is
>> no way for them to do anything except build new units. Which is not limited
>> by available acps. If they could move, they would move for ever.
>
>What if acp-independent units could move, but their movement was limited
>by materials?  This is to some extent how spider webs work in "insects"
>using the mobility material; they have 1 mobility, but once it's used
>up, they're anchored down.  A floating city might get 2 units of
>mobility each turn, and once they're exhausted, it can build stuff, but
>can't move until it produces more mobility.
>
>Of course, a better solution might be to make it possible for a floating
>city to get 2 ACP per turn, but expend zero ACP on a build action.  Or
>perhaps it should have one set of ACP's for motion, and another set for
>construction.  That would also allow flying cities in "time.g" to fly
>and build at the same time (wasn't that suggested in the PROJECTS
>file?).

Right. I also thought about that. Or rather, just make building
acp-independent (i.e. limited by materials) but otherwise let the city
move, fight etc. as usual, consuming acps. This is sort of like unit-level
research (currently disabled) used to work.

The catch, however, is when you consider the task queue. If we are going to
build and do other stuff at the same time, we really need two parallel task
queues. Things quickly get very complicated, particularly at the next level
(plan execution). Still. I believe it could be done. Some day ...

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se