Re: Fixes to the AI build code

>> I have also removed the oplayer AI, which was never used the way it was
>> supposed to (as a development tool for the mplayer).
>
>I was trying to use it in exactly that fashion this morning.
>
>Now, the problem was that I was using the standard game, and vagueries
>in map generation were a stronger factor in success than AI strategy
>(especially fine points thereof).
>
>So I'm not sure I'm really arguing in favor of keeping oplayer, but I
>did bristle at "never" ;-).

Well, what I meant was that the original idea was to replace the oplayer
every now and then with a fresh copy of the mplayer. Kind of a rolling
backup for the mplayer. Instead we ended up with an obsolete piece of code
which reflected what was going on with the mplayer two years ago.

The main reason for this is that all the AI development that we have done
in the last two years (the new action reaction code etc.) has dealt with
the common AI code in ai.c, not the mplayer. So if anything, we would have
needed an "oi.c".

But if you want to test out some new features in the mplayer, it's easy to
add back a fresh copy of the mplayer for reference. All that is needed is
some minimal hacking of ai.c plus changing "mplayer" to "oplayer" everwhere
in the mplayer copy.

The real challenge is of course to write new AIs from scratch. Or perhaps
port one from another game such as freeciv. This is the main reason why the
AIs are implemented as plugins.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se